Sunday, 6 March 2011

TNG Moves to London

Few times in life does one get to walk through a set of revolving doors, approach an attractive young woman behind a desk and say, "Good morning, my name's Mr. New Guy, and I start work today on the 10th floor."

Few is probably an overstatement, and for that I am grateful to be here.

I'm not going to lie, my preparation for this day didn't involve much. I watched three episodes of The Office, and eight of Mad Men. I had feared that this might not be enough to prepare me for the highly provocative and often outrageous world of investment accountancy, but here I am. In one piece. Without the loss of my morals, or my dignity.

But there's always the week to come for that.

Having been at the office for so short a time, I can't really comment on what I think of it. I look forward to going in on Monday morning, so there's that. But I think it'll be at least a few more months, perhaps a year before I know if this is the right place for me. But then again, I've always said that anything is what you make of it. So there's that.

I can tell you what I think of London though. It's definitely made an impression on me. Probably best to illustrate with an anecdote.

Time: 7:57am
Location: Random market near Paddington Station

TNG: "Excuse me, could I buy an apple please?"

Old Lady looks up at me, wiping her nose on a tissue.

TNG: "If, your open..."

Old Lady: "You know very well I can't do that!"

TNG: "Sorry?"

Old Lady: "You know very well I can't do that!!"

TNG: "Um.. okay.. no sorry I didn't know very well, I'm not from around here."

Old Lady: "Do you have a pound?!"

TNG: "It's okay, I'll go somewhere else."

Old Lady: "Do you have a pound?!!"

TNG: "That's quite alright, I'll just go to that Tesco Express right there that's trying to put you out of business."

I proceed to the supermarket, but figure there has to be a vendor here somewhere that wants my business, so go to the one literally on the curb outside Tesco. Guy sells me an apple no trouble. I thank him for the apple, and his niceness.

I walk down the street finding a place to sit, wash my delicious looking breakfast, and take a bite. Rotten.

I love this city already!

9 comments:

  1. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. London's not that bad after u get used to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If u get the chance, go to the farmers market in hammersmith on thursdays, and try out the falafel store - its awesome. Sorry, my message may sound a little bit weird, but after following ur blog, i feel like ur a friend already :P Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah, thanks guys. Oh the city's fine, it's just some of the inhabitants that take their toll on you.

    I'll be sure to try and check that place out; never had a falafel before! Though working during the day might put a hamper on getting out there.

    Anonymous friends forever!

    -TNG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, TNG! I followed your blog the past couple months from Brazil. I wish you all the best in your new role. You really deserve it. Did I miss where you described which company you are working with? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sabrina,

    Wow, Brazil. Crazy.

    http://thenoughtygraduate.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-next.html is about as detailed as I get regarding the new job. First month has flown by.

    Thanks for reading!

    -TNG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey TNG,
    i guess you are not so noughty anymore now....haha....I came across your blog when i was trying to prepare for my factset interview. Just want to thank you for giving so much insight into the company and the interview process.....

    I got an offer from them last week, just thought i owe one to you.
    thx,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Morgan,

    That's great news! I hope you have settled in well.


    TNG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks

    graduate schemes

    ReplyDelete